Non-immigrant Visas
B Visa E Visa F/M Visa H Visa
J Visa L Visa R Visa TN Visa
Visa Waiver FAQ    

-J Visa
  Exchange visitor (J-1) visas are appropriate for persons going to the US as part of officially approved programs sponsored by educational or other nonprofit institutions.
  These programs include post graduate students, medical students coming to the United States as residents or interns, foreign scholars sponsored by universities as temporary faculty, and some business trainees.
  There are also several exchange visitor programs for young people, including summer employment programs, intern programs for university students, and au-pair programs.

  The programs are designated by the State Department's Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, and are the principal vehicle through which U.S.-Japan exchange programs are administered.